Certain psychological disorders are quite common in children that are quite hard for parents to identify. Children develop almost the same psychological disorders as adults but they are expressed in them differently. There tends to be no single cause for these psychological disorders found in children. The common psychological disorders among children are the following.
- anxiety disorders- one of the most common psychological disorders found among children is anxiety disorders. Children suffering from anxiety disorders tend to respond to certain situations with fear and exhibit physical signs of anxiety such as rapid hart beat and sweating profusely. Anxiety disorders in children’s ranges from post traumatic stress disorder, social phobia, obsessive compulsive disorder and generalised anxiety disorder.
- mood disorders- mood disorders such as bipolar disorders and depression causes a persistent feeling of sadness and extreme mood swings in children.
- schizophrenia-it has been seen that schizophrenia has been one of the common psychological disorders among children. This mental disorder causes a child to lose touch with reality. It is a chronic mental illness that involves distorted perceptions and thoughts.
- autism spectrum disorder (ASD)-this is a serious developmental disorder appearing in early childhood usually before the age of 3. This psychological disorder affects the child’s ability to communicate and interact with others.
- attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder- children suffering from this psychological disorder are hyperactive, face difficulty in paying attention and shows impulsive behaviour. This psychological disorder is one of the most commonly diagnosed mental illnesses in children.
- eating disorders-this psychological disorders involves intense emotion, unusual behaviours associated with food/weight. Eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating are serious psychological disorders commonly found among children. Such disorder leads to a serious obsession with food and weight.
- Tic disorders- such psychological disorders causes a child to perform repeated, sudden, involuntary and meaningless movements and sounds medically termed as tic.
Thus it is very important to keep a check on your child’s psychological and emotional health to avoid any kind of issues for a happy and healthy life. Consult Best psychiatrist on time if you see any of the above symptoms to control the future damages.